The Joint Programme Hydropower aims to facilitate a new role for hydropower as enabler for the renewable energy system by aligning and targeting research efforts in Europe. Thematically, the JP Hydropower spans the entire energy chain from water catchment to system integration, and it includes cross-cutting elements such as markets and market design as well as environmental impacts, effects of climate change and policy and societal issues.
The JP Hydropower will emphasize cross-disciplinary cooperation between its Sub-Programmes, synergies with other EERA Joint Programmes and existing European and international projects, and actively engage with the industry in order to secure relevance and impact for the hydropower sector and the renewable energy system.
- SP1: Hydroelectric units – Coordinated by François Avellan, EPFL (Coordinator) and Pål-Tore Selbo Storli, NTNU (Vice-Coordinator)
- SP2: Hydropower structures – Coordinated by Jochen Aberle, EFZN/TU Braunschweig and Robert Boes, ETH Zürich (Vice-Coordinator)
- SP3: Grid, System Integration and Markets – Coordinated by Albert Moser, RWTH (Coordinator) and Robert Schürhuber, TU Graz (Vice-Coordinator)
- SP4: Water resources, environmental impacts and climate adaptation – Coordinated by Staffan Lundström, LTU (Coordinator) and David Finger, RU (Vice-Coordinator)
- SP5: Social acceptance, engagement and policy – Coordinated by Berit Köhler, NINA and Patrick Hendrick, BERA (Vice-Coordinator)
- SP6: Digitalization – Coordinated by Hans Ivar Skjelbred, SINTEF and Eduard Doujak, TU Wien (Vice-Coordinator)