The SET Plan was Europe’s technology response to the pressing challenges of meeting its targets on greenhouse gas emissions, renewable energy and energy efficiency over the coming decades. It provides a common vision, defines goals and ensures pan-European coordination. It is the principal decision-making support tool for European energy policy, with the goals to
- Accelerate knowledge development, technology transfer and up-take;
- Maintain EU industrial leadership on low-carbon energy technologies;
- Foster science for transforming energy technologies to achieve the 2020 Energy and climate change goals;
- Contribute to the worldwide transition to a low-carbon economy by 2050.
In parallel to the launch of the SET Plan, the European Energy Research Alliance (EERA) was created to align the research and development activities of individual research organisations with the needs of the SET Plan priorities, and to establish a joint programming framework at the EU level. EERA acts as the research pillar of the SET Plan. It was created on the principle of voluntary participation of research organisations, materialised in their contribution to one or several of the EERA Joint Programmes.
The SET Plan is further supported by the SET Plan Information System (SETIS) and the European Technology and Innovation Platforms (ETIPs).
SET Plan implementation progress reports
- SET Plan progress report 2022
The 2022 SET Plan Progress Report supports the ‘revamp’ by bringing together the views of stakeholders on possible ways forward for the SET Plan.
- SET Plan progress report 2021
The 2021 SET Plan Progress Report assesses the developments of the SET Plan through highlighting the implementation and key achievements for the year 2020-2021.
- Progress from the Implementation working groups (2020)
Progress from the Implementation working groups (2020)
- Progress from the Implementation working groups (2019)
This publication, released during the 13th SET Plan conference in Helsinki, offers a concise overview based on the inputs from the SET Plan IWGs.
- SET Plan delivering results (2018)
The SET Plan promotes cooperation amongst EU countries, companies, research institutions and the EU itself.
- The Strategic Energy Technology (SET) Plan. At the heart of Energy Research & Innovation in Europe (2017)
Ten years ago, when the Strategic Energy Technology (SET) Plan was launched, the energy transition was in the making but still looked distant.
- Transforming the European Energy System Through Innovation (2016)