European Common Research and Innovation Agendas (ECRIAs)
The European Common Research and Innovation Agenda (ECRIA) is a Research and Innovation Action (RIA) under Horizon2020
Main characteristics of an ECRIA project:
- Aim: creating a transnational critical mass of research capacity in an emergent area of research
- Limited number of research topics related to an integration aspect of the energy system
- Limited to a small number of clear and concrete deliverables
- Technology Readiness Levels (TRLs) 2 to 5
- Combination of national and European funding
- Agendas to cover at least three years
- Activities to lay the foundations for long-lasting future cooperation by building a transnational critical mass in the funded research areas
- Exchange of researchers to facilitate co-operation
- Shared use of existing research facilities, models and databases
Four ECRIA projects currently ongoing, each involving one or more EERA Joint Programme(s):
- AMBITION (Advanced biofuel production with energy system integration), involving JP Bioenergy.
- BALANCE (Increasing penetration of renewable power, alternative fuels and grid flexibility by cross-vector electrochemical processes), involving JP FCH
- INSHIP (Integrating National Research Agendas on Solar Heat for Industrial Processes) involving JP CSP.
- SmILES (Smart Integration of Energy Storages in Local Multi Energy Systems for maximising the Share of Renewables in Europe’s Energy Mix) involving JP Energy Storage, JP e3s, JP Smart Cities, JP Smart Grids
EERA aisbl is a partner in the consortium of the ECRIAs INSHIP and SmILES.