Coordinating energy research for a low carbon Europe

Go back

"Cross-border research collaboration in a competitive environment"

04/10/2013

Lunch seminar intiatied by EERA and EARTO took place on 4th October 2013 at ENEA office, Brussels.

Globalisation and the increasingly sophisticated facilities needed to scientific advances have lead research organisations to strengthen collaboration with other organisations within and across borders. Today, international collaboration is an important benchmark for modern research organisations and universities, not least when it comes to securing the next round of competitive grants from national or international funding bodies.

Cross-border collaboration is at the heart of the EU frameworks programme for research and innovation. With the next EU framework programme for research and innovation, Horizon2020, the European Commission seeks to take a next step in deepening collaborative efforts. A cornerstone of the new framework programme is to promote coordination of the research funded at national level in line with the realisation of the European Research Area.

The € 70.2 billion earmarked for Horizon2020 represent only 5-10% of public research funding in Europe. The remaining 90% are distributed at member state level. The European Commission has therefore increased efforts to use Horizon2020 as a tool to leverage cross-border collaboration between research initiatives funded at member state level.

Maintaining European competitiveness and our scientific lead position in many fields requires an efficient use of resources. Not least in the current time of austerity. Yet, modern research organisations and universities now face the challenge of developing collaborations that span not only the national borders but also various competitive grants.

This lunch seminar addressed the challenge of developing cross-border collaborations on new funding models in a system that has increasingly rewarded research based on competitive calls.

eera_earto-2 eera_earto-1 eera_earto-3 eera_earto-5 eera_earto-4